It’s MBA admissions fair season: a great opportunity for MBA candidates to attend admissions panels in your city, pick up GMAT tips, talk 1×1 with admissions officers from your target schools, and evaluate which programs are the best fit for you.
In addition, it gives the admissions officers a chance to hear questions directly from the frontlines, and make connections with prospective applicants.
Here are 5 tips to ensure you make the most of these MBA events:
- Remember that every touch point with the school reflects upon you as a candidate, be it with the head of admissions or the receptionist. Smile, offer a confident hand shake, show your enthusiasm, and be professional with whomever you speak.
- Do your homework. Nothing shows your interest like coming armed with thoughtful questions, beyond what can be found on the website. Ask about a topic that intrigues you, an aspect of the curriculum, campus initiatives. Show your sincere curiosity about the MBA program, rather than simply a desire for face time.
- Book 1×1 sessions when possible. Some schools offer a chance to reserve a time slot to meet with the admissions team privately or in a small group. If you’re genuinely interested in an MBA program, don’t miss this phenomenal opportunity to make a positive impression and build a relationship with the school in advance of applying.
- Bring your business cards and resume. It is a perfectly appropriate gesture, and it can offer a nice touch that will help the admissions officers remember you.
- Be open minded. One of the best aspects of an MBA fair is the chance to learn more about programs that may be a fit for you. Walk around, engage others, and gather insights.
If you’re considering applying to business school, the following upcoming MBA tours are not to be missed:
The Access MBA Tour: June 18, 2012 (NYC)
For New Yorkers interested in international business schools, be sure to attend the Access MBA Tour. Coming up on June 18th in NYC, this prestigious event offers an elite selection of international business schools interested in meeting highly-qualified candidates in the US. Its unique format matches candidates with MBA programs that meet their needs and criteria. Candidates then meet one-on-one with MBA Admission Directors in 20-minute intervals. Free of charge, event participants can also benefit from admissions and GMAT test preparation advisors. For more information and to register, click here: http://bit.ly/JTM0SB
The QS MBA Tour: Sept-Nov 2012 (North America)
Taking place in 22 North American cities–from NYC to Denver to Honolulu–the QS World MBA Tour is the world’s largest MBA fair. Throughout the fall, these distinguished MBA events offer panel discussions on the latest MBA topics and trends, presentations from elite admissions and GMAT experts, school matching, and the chance to speak face to face with admissions committee members. To find the fair in your nearest city and to register, click here: http://bit.ly/NFrMuF
[For personalized advice on assessing your candidacy for your target business schools, please contact us at email@example.com]
© Hillary Schubach June 5, 2012 2:51pm MT